Rules Governing Exhibits & Instructions to Exhibitors
General Rules for Exhibitors
- The primary objective of the Show is the improvement of Agriculture and Livestock in all branches.
- All stock must be bona fide property of the exhibitor.
- An animal must be in ones ownership on the day of entry. Confined Classes for residents of Counties Offaly, Laois and Westmeath.
- Pens will not be provided for exhibits in all cattle classes. Bulls exhibited at the Show must be secured by a ring in the nose, with a strong rope or chain attached. The Society shall have the right to order the removal of any animal that they consider to be dangerous and shall not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by such animals.
- With regard to cattle where "pure-bred" stock is mentioned, it is understood that the stock exhibited must be entered in or eligible for entry in the particular Herd Book. In the case of bulls, the date of birth must be stated on the entry form.
- In all classes for heifers, a heifer is classified as a heifer until she has a calf.
- All animals must be shown at owner's risk. The Society will not be accountable for any accident, damage or loss of exhibit. It is advisable for the exhibitor to have insurance on his animal.
- In the interest of safety, the Society will reserve the right to refuse entry or have any animal(s) removed from the Showgrounds during the course of the Show.
- The Farm and Garden Produce must have grown on the exhibitors land, and a declaration to that effect, signed by two respectable householders living in the immediate locality and approved by the Society, may be required from each prize-winner before prizes are paid.
- All stock, poultry, produce, etc. to be in the Show Yard before 10 a.m. on the morning of the Show.
- Prizes will be awarded be in all classes except Pedigree Classes where there is sufficient merit, but the Judges will be distinctly instructed to withhold a prize where sufficient merit does exist. Unless 3 entries are received no 2nd prize will be awarded, unless 5 entries are received no 3rd prize will be awarded unless there are 6 entries.
- The judge's decision is final.
- All prizes disallowed or not awarded shall lapse to the Society.
- Objections - All objections to the decision of the Judges must be lodged with the Secretary, in writing, accompanied by a fee of €50 for outdoor competitions - €10 for indoor competitions, unless otherwise stated, within 1 hour after results. The fees or fees so lodged will be forfeited in cases where the objection or objections is or are considered to be frivolous.
- Entries - All descriptions of stock as to age and breed, must be stated when completing entry forms. This is a must especially in respect of qualifiers. Entry forms will be returned if incomplete.
- Entries will not be acceptable unless accompanied by the requisite entry fee.
- In cases it shall be proved to be the satisfaction of the Society that the owner or any person in his employment or under his control has been guilty of any violation of the rules or regulations, has made a false statement in the certificate of entry, or has secured unfair advantage, the exhibitor shall forfeit all prizes awarded to him/her and shall be liable to be excluded from competing at this or any future Show of the Society.
- The Society shall reserve the right of declining or returning any exhibit without incurring any liability. In the event of the Society being unable to accept any entry, notice will be given within six days after the final closing of the entries. The fee lodged will be refunded.
- No refund of entry fees in any class, including Jumping Competition, will be made in the case of entries, which are not sent forward for competition, or which are disqualified from competition for failure to comply with regulations.
- No steward can officiate in a ring who is an exhibitor in the class under adjudication.
- Judges, or their family members, must not exhibit in sections in which they are judging.
- Offending persons may be asked to leave, by the chief steward.
- If an exhibitor gives any judge hassle, he may be qualified.
- Only one handler per animal will be allowed in the ring.
- Judges names will not be disclosed prior to the show.
- Exhibits may not be removed from the Showgrounds before 5 p.m. Failure to comply may result in loss of prize money.
- Cup Award - Rosettes in Purple and Yellow. Prizes Colours: - First Prize - Red, Second - Blue, Third - Yellow.
- The award of a Rosette or Prize Card does not imply that the entry is entitled to prize money.
- All exhibits must bear their labels otherwise they will be refused by the stewards.
- In the Livestock Section - any class for which only one entry is received will be cancelled.
- Cattle will be unloaded/loaded in specially designated areas by their handler in the interest of safety.
- All animals must conform to current regulations.